Friday, April 10, 2009

Final Reflection (Post #7)

From my very first post, I mentioned that I was an attention seeker who loved to talk and ceased to listen. To make people listen, I would yell whatever that comes to mind without processing what I want to say. Over the period of the course, I have learned that it is important to be able to listen well, and give opinions only when it is appropriate. My idea of communication have also changed in the sense that I now understand that communication is not only verbal, but it also encompasses non verbal cues or certain acts.

Throughout these few months in the course, I have also learned that the way we communicate with another person could result in very different outcomes. An inappropriate choice of words or even the lack of a smile could lead to undesired circumstances. To be able to communicate effectively would also mean that there is magnitude in the things I say and respect for my listener.

The different skills and role playing we had in class has definitely heightened my knowledge on many different situations. Many topics and issues discussed also opened me up to new ideas which have never crossed my mind. For example, the various blog evaluations on intercultural behaviour gave me insights to cultural practices I was previously ignorant about.

In particular, the research study we did taught me many skills. One important thing I learned was how to work effectively in a team. I learned that it is important to be able to understand the way each team member works in order to have an enjoyable working experience together. The course of this project also taught me more about myself and the way I handled things, and this gave me a better idea on how I can improve myself.

It has been a fun and enriching 4 months in the course and I have taken with me valuable skills and friendships.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shu,

    Good effort on such a comprehensive and insightful reflection on the module. It indeed summarized many important lessons learnt and skills gain through this module.

    Like you’ve mentioned, I have also realized that subtle non-verbal cues should never be undermined in communication processes. These constitute the many important elements of effective communication which are often overlooked. Now, being equipped with much knowledge effective communication, our learning not cease when this module concludes. Instead, we should extend our learning out of the parameters of our classroom and attempt to integrate effective communication into the various aspects of our life. It is only through sheer determination and practice that we would one day be competent as effective communicators.

    Overall, this had been a fulfilling module and I am sure that we have benefited much through lessons and assignments throughout this course.

    All the best in your upcoming exams!

    Cheers,
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shu Ting,

    A sincere and concise post!

    In particular, I agree with you on the importance of understanding each team member so as to achieve optimal performance and communicate effectively. Besides sharing of ideas, we also have to communicate effectively when assigning duties among our group to avoid potential pitfalls. With these lessons gained, I share your sentiments that this module has enabled us to discover more about ourselves and areas of communication which we could improve on.

    Let’s work hard to become better communicators. All the best! =)

    Regards,
    Jie Li

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shu Ting!

    Thanks for the consolation on my blog post. :P

    I still remembered that you said you were an attention seeker from your first blog post, but I seriously cannot imagine you being one. =P Yup I totally agree that one must be able to give in as well, to listen what the other party has to say as communication is a two-way process.

    I didn’t know that a lack of smile could lead to undesired circumstance, but to me it may portray the wrong impression or attitude of myself to others. But I guess it will not matter you and me because we are people who love to smile a lot! :D

    I had a learnt a great deal and had fun during this course too! It was really nice knowing you! Good luck for the upcoming exams too! =)

    Love,
    Huiwen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shu Ting,

    A succinct summary of how the module has transformed not only your belief on communication, but the way you practised it as well. I have personally witnessed your initial antics at gaining other's attention, and hence I must congratulate you on your resolve to incorporate listening as a part of communicating with others, especially when working with you on assignments not from this module.

    I concur that in this fast-paced metropolis, heightened stress has led to an ever increasing need to mince our words and be generous with our smiles to avoid conflict and unnecessary damage control. Working with others to accomplish group work may result in the conflict of opinions, and the skills taught had definitely been helpful in facilitating an efficient exchange of ideas.

    Like you, the blog entry on intercultural behaviour was indeed an effective way to share about customary taboos that many of us would not have even known existed, without having to venture personally to participate in such conflicts.

    I am glad to hear that this module had been a tool for self-improvement for you, like it had been for me as well. I sincerely hope they will come in handy for you in future!

    Lastly, all the best for the coming exams!

    Regards,
    Desmond

    ReplyDelete